Thursday, May 2, 2013

Summer Extension

Not that I'm counting...but there's only 25 days left of this school year!
(Can't you just feel the sunburned cheeks already!??!)

Buuuut, before I get too carried away I've been really digging in and doing whatever I can to help my students make as many connections to their learning as possible! My hope is on testing day it'll alllll come flooding back to them :) Of course I don't just want them to test and forget...especially since I recently found out there's a very good chance I'll be looping with this crew up into 3rd grade!

After stumbling across a post on one of my favorite blogs (2nd Grade Shenanigans) I've been bittin by the summer extension bug. In this post she provides a wonderful way for students to prepare a summer "bucket" of sorts full of extension activities to practice while they're away! Because the students participate in the preparation of the bucket they are more likely to use it! Also, because I'll be seeing them again in the fall, it'll be easy for me to check-in on those who have kept up the work...and maybe....just maybe...offer a reward? (Shhh. Don't tell my grad school facilitators I said the "r word.")
Now I just need to decide if I'd like to buy her product, another one like it, or spend some time creating my own!
Has anyone done anything like this in the past? If so, what have you used?
(P.S. Let the countdown begin... :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment