Saturday, May 18, 2013

"Stir the Team"

This week I tried another new instructional strategy called "Stir the Team." We're currently reading Charlotte's Web and there are many opportunities for students to develop their own visualizations, predictions and conclusions and then share them with others. After reading the chapter "Uncle," in which the characters find themselves with their senses heightened at the county fair, I gave each of the students a card with one of five character names on it: Fern, Avery, Wilbur, Charlotte or Templeton. They had to meet with their character group and brainstorm using the visualzation strategy of "make a movie in your brain." They each recorded things their character saw, smelled, heard, tasted and felt. After about 5 minutes of some pretty great conversations they then referred back to their card where they found a number. They then rotated to their number group which consisted of the 5 different characters (one "expert" for each character per group). They discussed what they saw, tasted, etc. and then made their own venn diagram based on two characters of their choice.
I was very impressed with how well this went! Not only were students discussing with their peers (which they love to do...especially this time of year) but they were able to hear ideas from others that they may not have considered. They were also able to get up and move as they rotated around. Finally, I think having choice as they compared two characters helped them develop a quality venn diagram to compare and contrast. This is definitely a strategy I could see using in many other areas of our day and will use again!

2 comments:

  1. What a powerful instructional strategy to use. It sounds like it was very successful. I love that you refer to the students as experts. I do this with my students too and they love hearing it. I really enjoy the book Charlotte's Web. There are so many activities and discussions that can come from that book. Is this book used as a read aloud or part of your curriculum? What other books do you use for read aloud? It is always fun to hear what other second grade teachers do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lori!
      I've used Charlotte's Web as a read aloud for the past four years and am BUMMED I won't be able to use it next year since I'm looping. It's such a great read aloud for the end of the year and the kids love being able to follow along in their own chapter book (I check out EVERY copy our library owns :) ). Since it isn't part of the curriculum, I just tie in a bunch of standards using the text. We always end with a book report and the students get to choose how they present what they know (poster, pamphlet, flap book, etc.). Currently that's the only chapter book read aloud I use. I do use a lot of picture book read alouds and will check out multiple copies (or class sets if available) to have them follow along but they are definitely a fan of the chapter books! I'm hoping to do more of this next year with them!

      Delete