Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Sneak-Peak Into Next Year's Classroom: Best Practices in Reading


After reading the chapter “Best Practice in Reading” from Zemelman and Hyde’s Best Practice for Teaching and Learning in America’s Schools there are many practices I can’t wait to implement next year in 3rd grade.
·         Researchers have compiled a list of skills that all readers should be aware of and know how to use when reading: Visualize, connect, question, infer, evaluate, analyze, recall and monitor
o   I think it’s critical that students know these terms and understand exactly what they look like in reading. My thought is to use the first 8 weeks to explicitly teach and model what each of these skills look like. As I teach each one I’d like to create a visual that the students come up with to help them remember what each means. These words and visuals will become part of a bulletin board that we can then refer back to all year long.
·         Hearing books read aloud is a key to learning to read-students need to hear and see a fluent, enthusiastic reader using “think-aloud” strategies on a daily basis.
o   Although I try and read aloud to my students on a daily basis, I want to become very intentional about this next year. I chose the end of this year to read aloud the chapter book Charlotte’s Web. Our library had multiple copies so my students were able to follow along with a partner as I read.
o   While reading I would frequently stop and “think-aloud” various things:
§  why I changed my voice when I did
§  what I could do if I didn’t know a certain word
§  how our character what probably feeling in that moment
§  connections I had to the characters in different situations
o   I’d really like to make it a point to read-aloud more chapter books with my students next year as it exposes them to higher-level text, thinking and vocabulary. It also teaches my students the importance of sticking with a book, which many have a hard time doing!
·         Reading is the best practice for learning to read-in order for students to become better readers, they need time to practice the skill of reading. This can happen at home, in a guided setting and during uninterrupted independent reading.
o   While I do this on a daily basis, I don’t feel that they get ENOUGH time to “just-read.”
o   I want to be sure to find a good balance of reading for a purpose (to complete a task that connects to our lesson, etc.) and reading for pure enjoyment. I’ve always worried that I wouldn’t be able to hold my students accountable if they didn’t turn something in to “prove” they were reading. However, as adults we don’t always enjoy reading something if we know we have an assignment. Often, our more enjoyable reading occurs when we chose the book and we can read for our own purpose. After modeling this idea (as it may be foreign to some) I want to be sure to give my students a chance to cozy up and just read for FUN!
·         Choice is an integral part of literate behavior-students should be encouraged to choose texts and ways in which they demonstrate what they know about that text.
o   While this ties into the above practice, I want to include more choice in our guided reading groups as well.
o   I could see easily doing this by selecting 2-3 books within that group’s level and then allowing the students to choose which one they’d like to practice a certain skill with.
o   Instead of forming book groups based on like abilities, I could form groups based on areas of need. They could then use their own choice book and I could instead teach a strategy to apply to their book.
·         Kids need easy books-studies show “young readers need much more of what adult readers sometimes call ‘beach books’-easy, predictable, enjoyable, quick reads.”
o   Typically I group my students based on their level of reading and often provide that group with texts that are at, or slightly above, their reading level. I thought this was appropriate as it exposed them to higher-level vocabulary and I was there to help when needed.
o   Next year I would like to provide them with more “beach books” to ensure that the reading is successful and fun, versus something they come to look upon as difficult and purely instructional.
·         Kids should have daily opportunities to talk about their reading-kids needs the opportunity to share about their reading via sharing time, book clubs, writing, dialogue journal partners, etc.
o   Next year I’d like to be more intentional about building in a dialogue time to share about their reading.
o   I’d like to have a variety of ways for students to do this as some need to talk about their reading, while others would flourish through written dialogue.
§  I’m thinking about starting book review journals where students converse with each other about different topics within the journal. I’d organize this journal into different sections so as to easily find and respond to discussions.
§  I’d also like to set up a 5 minute discussion time after each independent reading session. I’d like to keep this time open to any topic of book discussion so as not to control the dialogue. This, of course, would take some initial modeling and role-playing but could be very beneficial. 

7 comments:

  1. I am also hoping to set up discussion time next year. I occasionally had sharing time, especially if I assigned them something but I definitely want more time for students to just share what they read about or what they liked.
    I tried class journals this year but I didn't follow through with it really well so no one really wrote in it. Let me know if you have ideas on how to keep class journals engaging throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that class journals take time to maintain and follow through with. However, I'm hoping to teach my students how to hold each other accountable as well...take some of that responsibility off me and hopefully make it easier to maintain. I thought about beginning the year with 2-3 journals. One simply for writing about their weekend or any happenings in their life...just to get them journaling to each other. In the other two I'd like to make them more book specific. Maybe one for "must reads" in our class library. You could teach the kids how to do a book review, provide them with a template at first, and then show the students how to use and respond to those reviews. The third could be specifically about characters-likes, dislikes, funny comments, connections, etc. This is definitely something I'd like to look into more this summer!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your ideas. I will come back to this and try these ideas in my 2nd grade classroom. I particularly like the more-engaging read aloud book time. I have always loved that time and I know research shows that it is important for developing readers to "hear" what a good reader sounds like. I like that you have found it is importnat to know what that good reader is also "thinking".
    I also like your idea that kids have time with just "fun", enjoyable reading time.
    Thanks for these ideas and your research.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to ask a question - Is this part of your project and research for next year? Will this be your final presentation for the April meeting?
      Carolyn

      Delete
    2. Hi Carolyn!
      In response to your first post-I have definitely noticed the impact of being more intentional about my read-alouds and think-alouds! I'm hearing my students use the same vocabulary when retelling their stories and it seems to keep them more engaged and accountable during our whole-group reading time.
      This post isn't necessarily directly tied to my Action Research but I'm currently researching fluency and the impact of various strategies such as Reader's Theater and repeated readings. I think some of these best practices could play an important role in the bigger picture of next year's research so stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Natalie-
    I too want to become more intentional with my read aloud stories next year, but you have given me something else to think about with your think aloud strategies. There was only one story that we read together as a class for a read aloud where everyone had a copy of the book, however I feel like that still shouldn’t stop me from continuing those think aloud strategies even if they don’t have the text in front of them. Especially having ELL students next year, taking the time to talk about those items you listed (voice inflections, character analysis, etc.) would model and support effective reading strategies for the benefit of their learning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie,
    It sounds like you have a great plan set up for next year. I think helping students become aware of the reading skills they should use when reading will be so beneficial. I love the idea of creating visuals for these. This will be very helpful for your students. Next year, I also made it one of my goals to read aloud more to my students. It is so powerful, yet the one of the first things to get cut when there is a time crunch. You have great ideas to implement for next year to help create lifelong readers! Enjoy your last week of school!

    ReplyDelete