Sunday, November 17, 2013

Robert Marzano: Instructional Strategies That Work!

While reading Marzano’s chapter on effective Instructional Strategies I was surprised by the percentile gain elicited from homework and practice (28) versus questions, cues and advance organizers (22). I think there’s a fine line when it comes to homework and it caused me to reflect on the homework I’m assigning: how much, what kind and am I providing enough feedback on it?
Also, at first I was surprised by the percentile gain of 45 when using the strategy of “identifying similarities and differences.” However, the further I read the more I came to understand that this strategy helps students to tap into what they already know and make personal connections to prior learning and content. I’ve seen first-hand how powerful this strategy can be so it became more justified as I read.

This next week I’m planning to be more intentional about the implementation of the following strategies:
-providing more opportunities for students to compare and classify new and prior information.
-I’ve used double-bubble maps periodically throughout the past few months and find that students really like them!
-While I’ve improved the use of student journals for note taking and reflecting in all the subjects, I want to be more intentional about having my students summarize their learning at the end of the lesson. I could have them do this via an exit slip or in their journals right under their learning goals. I would then randomly check 5-10 journals.

-homework: I typically give homework once a week in math and in reading (two separate assignments) and then give the students a week to complete. These homework assignments consist of a few pages that allow them to practice strategies they have previously learned. However, rarely do I find time to provide effective feedback. I simply skim for understanding, star or circle problems and give it back. I think if I provide a few less problems it’ll allow me to provide this feedback more intentionally. Less is more in this case!

No comments:

Post a Comment