Sunday, October 20, 2013

Technology Integration in the Classroom

I've always considered myself a "techy." If I can use an Elmo, Smart Board, iPad, heck, a CD player to enhance a lesson and increase student engagement, I'm all in.

So, when I was granted the opportunity to participate in a 1:1 iPad initiative across my 2nd grade team last year you can imagine I squealed with delight! And, when I looped up with my 2nd graders into 3rd and, hold the door...we got to BRING THE iPADS WITH US...I just about keeled over.

Because of my passion for technology, I feel I've created...or enhanced...this passion in my 23 students who have become so use to the technology that when our Smart Board light bulb burnt out for 2 days last year we all wandered around our classroom bumping into each other like zombies. Okay..not that bad..but we didn't quite know what to do with ourselves.

However, this brings about a point of frustration with technology...things can go wrong...and DO...more often than we'd like. Desktops full of Smart Board lessons can refuse to load, or as noted above, Smart Boards themselves can refuse to "load" leaving a perfectly planned and engaging lesson out of reach. A lesson on collaboration using the 1:1 iPad ratio can quickly spiral out of control when the internet link no longer works...even though it did when you tested it out earlier that morning.

What I've most learned from the increased integration of technology in my classroom is this:
-Be prepared with a back-up plan...and prepare your students with that plan. For example "3rd graders, we're going to try something new today. It may have some bumps...some things might not go as we plan..but what will we do if we experience some of those bumps?" ...My kids have come to know the words persistence and patience when it comes to these new adventures.

-On that note...don't be afraid to try new things! My students blow my mind on a daily basis with how tech saavy they have become. Even my very low-income kiddos who have very little access to technology outside the classroom can troubleshoot with the best of them!

-There are MANY resources out there that supplement the "Substitution" or "Augmentation" stages of the SAMR model. It can be hard not to get caught up in thinking you're doing your students a favor simply by using a screen instead of a flashcard or piece of paper. However, I strive to reach the Modification and...dare I say it...Redefinition levels by allowing for opportunities in which my students can collaborate and learn from each other via this technology. I also try and use technology that allows my students to learn at their own pace and to be more independent and in charge of their learning. A few resources I've used are:
               -Padlet: a site that allows students to post thoughts, reflections, schema, etc. on a "sticky note" while others' sticky notes are being posted on a live feed.
               -Google website maker-a simple way to make a class website in which students can link to, receive and post assignments, reflect, and more!

While I still have a lot to learn in the area of using technology as a way to modify or redefine my lessons, I feel that my students and I are off to a great start as we find ourselves fully engaged in...and almost too reliant on...this growing world of technology.
·   

No comments:

Post a Comment