Sunday, October 20, 2013

Saint Mary's Fall Conference Reflection

This past weekend I attended the 2013 St. Mary's Fall conference. I found myself surrounded by passionate teachers who, like me, are mucking their way through this rewarding experience of being a grad student, full-time teacher and human being OUTSIDE the world of teaching. It was very beneficial to me to hear other's perspectives and strategies when it comes to juggling everything while wanting to be the "best" in each role. Just like teachers do, my group of 4, all from different districts and positions, got to know each other quickly and began sharing ideas. It became an environment safe for sharing as we spent some time prior building our community through a few community building activities led by our facilitator. From him, I took the attention getting "spring a leak!" in which everyone responds "shhhhhhhh" and the activity "posse" in which you're encouraging each other in a high-energy rock, paper, scissors game. I was able to try both of these new strategies/games and, of course, my students LOVED them!

I'm looking forward to keeping in touch with this group of teachers through our blogging adventures over the next year and hoping to continue learning from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment