Thursday, October 10, 2013

Best Practices of Writing: Action Research Abstract

Title/question: How will daily, 15 minute explicit Six Traits of Writing mini-lessons improve the writing fluency of eight third graders?

Main Ideas/Findings/Questions in ROL: 
-The benefits that being a successful writer has on multiple facets of reading (phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, etc.)
-Components of the writing process and the Six +1 Traits of writing and how to teach each stage/trait
-Writing best practices and structures such as Writer's Workshop (components of and how to utilize each in a classroom setting)
             -Other best practice strategies that can be used to increase writing fluency (both              unassisted and guided)
-The necessity for writing to be authentic and full of choice
-The necessity for a classroom to be a predictable and safe place that encourages and supports all writers. 

Impact of my teaching and learning: Since beginning this research I've become more excited about the explicit teaching of writing. This is an area that, quite frankly, was my least favorite part of the day because I simply didn't know HOW to teach non-writers to be able to write. However, I feel that I've gathered a plethora of strategies and resources that have already begun to assist in my journey to becoming a teacher of writers!

Understanding of: assessment, discipline, environment, instruction, and teacher identity
Through my research I feel that I've gained a deeper understanding of each of the above components and how each fits into my writing instruction. Many of the articles I read spoke of the necessity for consistent checking-in (assessment) as well as feedback that is constructive, timely, and respectful. Once put into practice, I've also begun to see how essential it is that we take the time to set up the routines and develop a "safe place" for writers to blossom! 

Plan to begin research
While I've begun some of my research collecting (through surveys and writing samples) I have decided to wait to begin implementing until after MEA. Until that time I'm continuing to teach mini-lessons that are guiding my students to be independent (high stamina) and successful during this writing block. After I begin with my six-trait mini-lessons, I feel I'll gain more information about how valuable they truly are to the development of writing in my students.

Questions I still have:
What is a sufficient amount of time to be gathering the data?
What other tools can be used for students to assess their own writing? I'm currently using rubrics but my kids tend to get so hung up on that number!
How many work samples should I be collecting from the students? 

No comments:

Post a Comment