Saturday, September 7, 2013

Roadblocks and Successes

Another first week of school is in the books and I'm feeling better about this year than any before! There are many factors that contribute to that feeling of success and I know having a year of grad school learning and reflecting is a huge factor. Because I was "forced" to really focus on the truly important  components, both socially and academically, in my classroom, each activity I taught had a purpose! No more coloring pictures just to pass the first few days! Each lesson was thought out and I really believe helped to reaffirm our class routines and expectations. The activities were also centered around continuing to build the relationships we worked so hard to form last year! 

I face two roadblocks when I continue to look forward into the year. The first is also my biggest question...the unknown. This is a new grade level for me and, while having the same class certainly helps, it's hard to think ahead and plan in a Backwards Design kind of way when I've not taught some of these standards or this curriculum before. Luckily, I have a wonderful team of experienced teachers who have already stepped in to help in any way possible. I'm trying to even out the deal by sharing what I've learned about community building and Backwards Design with them :) My second roadblock is by far and above the most common for teachers...TIME. Not necessarily time within a day because I feel as though cutting out the "fluff' and teaching my lessons as big ideas and concepts and not isolated learning experiences will help. I struggle with balancing my desire to want to spend HOURS researching best practices or supplemental interventions (which is not hard to do) and remembering to leave time to PLAY and enjoy these last few months with my husband before our little guy joins us :) I have to keep reminding myself that every lesson doesn't have to be this overly planned, complicated 45 minute time frame and that, sometimes, the students' questions and experiences guide me to something bigger than what an internet search could've provided. 

In the meantime...I'm going to take my own advice...play today..plan tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment