Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Real kids. Real writing. Real teaching.

Best Practices in Writing Main Ideas
·         Writing should be “just another piece” of the puzzle in a very integrated day.
o   The example given in the text describes how a third grade teacher turned a literacy study on the fairy tale Cinderella into an entire unit by incorporating geography, vocabulary and writing.
§  I feel this is a very important aspect of writing as students are given more exposure and knowledge around the topic they are to write about. When provided with word walls full of connected vocabulary and maps with starred locations their pool of knowledge is large enabling them to write more easily.
o   I like the idea of having an interchangeable word wall containing important vocabulary words pertaining to the current area of study. By placing this in the writing “center” students are able to easily access these words and are more likely to use them in their writing.
·         It’s important to “prime the pump” (build their enthusiasm) around the topic of writing.
o   Because I haven’t always felt like the most successful writer growing up I feel that I may not always come across as enthusiastic about writing…this definitely reflects on my students! This next year I want to be more intentional about showing excitement and enthusiasm about my writing! If the students see I’m excited, they’re more likely to become excited about writing too!
·         Students should be given extensive prewriting experience via mini-lessons and modeling
o   The authors give multiple ways to provide writers with prewriting experiences. What stuck with me was the idea about having brainstormed lists and questions readily available in student’s writing folders and on easily accessible chart. This strategy allows for students to be more independent and access their own ideas freely.
o   Some other ideas include:
§  Modeling on an overhead
§  Exposing students to good strategies in read that the class is doing
§  Having students brainstorm solutions to a particular problem in a sample piece
·         Students should be” given plenty of room for originality” and choice.
o   I believe the students will take more ownership when they’re able to choose what it is they’re writing about. Although they will need guidance, less structure may actually produce better, more creative, writing. As the authors state, “When the topic matters, children work hard and invest time and effort in crafting their work.”  This philosophy also supports a constructivist’s view of a classroom as the students would be guiding their learning more than I would.
o   Hyde and Daniels also explain “arbitrarily assigned topics with no opportunity for choice deprive students of practice in a most crucial step of writing-making the first decision about what to write.

§  I think this is a fault of mine. I find myself guiding too much because I’m afraid that my students can’t handle too much freedom. However, I need to keep in mind that guidance can come without complete control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment