Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Praxis

While further researching why fluency was so important in a strong reader Dr. Timothy Rasinksi provided me with much clarification on this question. His article, “CreatingFluent Readers” discusses the 3 Dimensions of Reading Fluency:
  • Accuracy-being able to sound out words within a text with minimal areas
  • Automatic processing-using little effort to decode so that they are able to use their cognitive       abilities to make meaning
  •  Prosody-utilizing punctuation and expression to make meaning of the text

He then emphasized how fluency feeds into comprehension and comprehension is our “final goal” as we read. It was this notion that guided me in my action research. I knew I needed to teach my students what these three facets of fluency meant, what they looked like and how to achieve them as readers. If I could do this I hoped to increase their comprehension as well.

Another article that sparked some change in my classroom research was Lara Beth Clementi’s  “Readers Theater: A Motivating Method toImprove Reading Fluency.” In this article she discusses the importance of motivation in creating fluent readers and how using Reader’s Theater can enhance that level of motivation. At the time I was already “dabbling” in some action research and could see that my students were getting a little bored with the repeated reading aspect of improving their fluency. Other than being able to record themselves, they really had no reason to reread the passage or book multiple times to become fluent. When I introduced the concept of reader’s theater to my students and the fact that they’d get to PERFORM to their classmates they were ecstatic!  They immediately grew excited about the “play” we were reading and were even willing to practice every part, multiple times without being asked, because they weren’t aware what part they’d be given. Their expression improved as they listened to each other and themselves and on the day of their performances they took it very seriously. When my other groups saw how much fun this group was having with reader’s theater they practically begged to do it as well! This article definitely opened my eyes to a fun and effective way to teach multiple facets of fluency!


Overall these articles had a huge impact on my action research “path” and on the students in my classroom. Due to the information I gathered and implemented in my classroom I was very pleased to see the growth of fluency amongst all students, not just my selected group. I will absolutely take this new knowledge and these strategies with me as I continue with them in 3rd grade! 

No comments:

Post a Comment