Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Power of Intention


It seems fitting that this, my first blog post, be about my intentions as a teacher. Many of us have the goal of being great at what we do, but for what reason? How will our goal affect those around us? When I think about my intentions as a teacher, the "why" that truly resonates with me is the fact that I want every student, each year, to leave my room knowing that someone loved them, cared for them, and believed that they could succeed. I want to leave an imprint on their lives.

I believe the idea of intention especially helps to build relationships with the more challenging students we encounter each year. Not only should we evaluate our intentions with that specific student, but their's as well. Why is that they may be challenging? Why is it that they are struggling to learn something? What is it that encompasses their lives outside of school? When we are able to understand their intentions, their "why," we are able to make such a greater impact on their emotional and academic beings. It is crucial to know each of your students not just as learners, but as complex individuals.

Each year I find myself with a few "onion students." They're those students who were purposely placed in my classroom because their previous teacher thought I'd be "understanding of their needs." Usually this means "they're tough...maybe she can crack them." Initially, these "onions" leave me crying at the end of each day. I find myself wondering how in the world I am going to make any progress with them when they won't let me in! However, little by little, the more they let me in ("shed their layers" perhaps) the more I am able to understand their "why." If I never gave them the opportunity to reveal their intention and only judged them based on what I thought I knew about them, I'd be missing out on an opportunity to change their lives, and mine, for the better.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, the fact that there is an "onion" term tells us that we do have challenges with certain populations. Intention is certainly a great way to focus on what a difference we can make in the lives of these students. I know that you already do make a difference, though! Keep up the great work, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie~
    I feel the same way about making each student that I ever teach feel special. I too want to make a positive impact on every single one of them! I LOVE your analogy of the "onion students"...What a great way to describe those difficult ones! I'm sure you do a terrific job building relationships with all of your students. Your energy and enthusiasm & love of teaching definitely shows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you reflected on why you are a teacher. It is so important that when times get challenging we remember our intentions for becoming a teacher and that is to make a difference in the lives of our students.

    Getting to know students as individuals is so important. A part of the Cipher in the Snow movie that stuck with me is that people live up to what you think of them. Our students know what we think of them. Getting to know who they are gives us an opportunity to believe in them and help them live up to high expectations.

    ReplyDelete